Saturday, January 30, 2010

How to dechipher kids

Sometimes they are so upset about something that I almost get angry. It's so hard to understand what is the matter. However, if I can say one magic word and solve everything, I feel great. Why am I talking about this? Since we are back from Europe, A is having trouble adjusting back to her life in USA.

It all started with the swimming lesson. She doesn't like swimming, but she tried and she was improving. That's before we left. The first lesson after vacation was 1/2 hour crying. She just cried and cried and cried. The teacher - a young guy called Tom - had to carry her around during the whole lesson. The second lesson was quite the same. She did agree to go to the pool with F's teacher - a young girl, Jessica -. Jessica's students hadn't showed up, but of course next week she had her own class. Then, after talking for hours, Miss A told us what was upsetting her: she didn't want to put her head in the water and she didn't know how to say that. Last week, her third lesson after we came back, I told Tom that she was upset about going underwater. Miss A didn't go under water but she did float on her back for more that 5 seconds without holding and she had a fun lesson! That was it!

School had its share, too. Now, Miss A LOVES her school and her teacher. I just couldn't figure out why she was crying the second day of school. Why, why, why! It breaks my heat to send her to the class crying. Net day though, I knew what was happening. Her foot was hurting - she has a wart that just doesn't want to leave her, and she didn't know how to say it. The whole morning before school, I repeated her "my foot hurts, I want to go home." Obviously it was enough for her, she went to school as happy as usual. Her teacher told me that she said couple times "my foot hurts" but she didn't want to go home. Solved!

Happy kids, happy mother!

No comments: