Friday, October 28, 2011

Virginian Opossum

Such a beautiful day today with the kids. They didn't have school, institute day. The sun is shining and we spent hours outside. Miss A was invited to Teresa-Claire's for a playdate. While she was gone, Miss F, Miss N and I went for a walk in the nature, just behind the house. Then Miss F wanted to rake the leaves - all deep colors of red and yellow, so pretty! - and then climbed a tree so high, I couldn't believe. Miss N took a long nap outside, such a nice weather it was. Then in was time to pick up Miss A, and a little visit to Egg Harbor with Chris and Lauren. - Little argument with Miss F because of her table manners, but we made it up!

Back at home, the kids wanted to climb more trees and I made great pictures of them on the pile of leaves (they all need a bath tonight!). While I was busy with taking the pictures, I saw this weird looking animal crossing the back yard. I followed and tried to make pictures. It was pretty far to get a good shot, but I managed one from the side. Miss F checked it in the Audubon book and it's a Virginia Opossum.

I was sure I would be freeked out when I read about this animal. Since we moved here, I realize more and more how dangerous the nature can be. The sweet looking raccoons can attack you or you can get a parasite that can be pretty dangerous. I wrote about that the first year we were here. Then the coyote's in the backyard, the ticks and the lime disease which come with the beautiful deer, weird worms I found when I was cleaning the sand box... Yuck...

that's the mood I'm in when I find the Virginia Opossum article in wikipedia. Let's see how much panic it will bring. The Opossum in an opportunist and you can find the by your garbage bin - we don;t have one outside - (1 point for us). When you scare the Opossum, he goes in a coma for several hours. He looks dead and this way he may save his life - now that's an interesting characteristic - (1 point for the Opossum). He is NOT related to a RAT! (I give 2 points to Opossum for that!) and according to Wikipedia: "They rarely transmit diseases to humans, and are surprisingly resistant to rabies, mainly because they have lower body temperatures than most placental mammals. In addition, opossums limit the spread of Lyme disease, as they successfully kill off most disease carrying ticks that feed on them." 10 points to Opossum and a hug from me - could do it if he wouldn't bite me or go into a coma, maybe. I love that ugly animal!

Now, the girls are in the basement, Miss N is with me talking and crawling. The pumpkin seeds - oh yes, we also carved pumpkins - are in the oven. Have no dinner and I am not proud of it, but having a nice day with the kids. What can I ask for more!

No comments: