Wednesday, May 14, 2008

How not to buy furniture@!

While the girls are putting on some make-up (help!), I would like to tell you about F's princess room furniture. Maybe you know it, we ordered it months ago by a nice but confused lady - we didn't know that then. First of all, the room we ordered never arrived, the production company went bankrupt. Well the lady couldn't do anything about it. We never got our down payment back so I called her. She said she was happy I called, she couldn't find our address anymore. I said 'keep the payment' send me this other room'. Very nice of me. Weeks went by without any news.

The kids enjoy sleeping in the same room but hey keep each other awake, too. F's room became a storage, what a waste of space. I have in our room and in the basement stuff that has to go in F's room but I cannot tidy it up. I cannot settle totally before F's room is ready. It is irritating.

The day before we leave for Turkey, the furniture arrived. I never had seen it before, only on Internet, and I really liked it. I liked it better than the first one we ordered. The guys from the transportation company brought the bed, the box spring and mattress, the dresser, the nightstand and the mirror upstairs. Only the dresser and the nightstand were not packed in and what do I see...they were not from the same set. The dresser was scratched and damaged. I told the guy that the delivery didn't seem OK. He looked in the other boxes to see that the rest of the pieces matched with the nightstand. The dresser was something else. He told me he would wait while I call the lady who sold us the stuff. I called her to hear that the dresser of our set was damaged and she would order a new one. In the mean while, she lent us another from her showroom. Very nice, especially when you don't bother to let your client know about it. Steam came out of my ears and I said 'well nice, but I don't think I will pay you'. I was afraid I would get stuck with the other dresser that I wasn't planning to use. She started a whole story about the stuff we received, it costs all money (OK, That's true), she sent us a good dresser instead to use for a while.... Finally we agreed that I will pay a big part of the bill, and the rest would be due to the time the dresser arrives. The dresser would arrive after we were back from Turkey.

This week I have been calling the lady. She told me first that the transportation guy would call me make an appointment, he had the dresser in his truck. He never called. I kept calling to ask what was happening. Today she told me that the guy didn't call me yet because there was a damage on the dresser and he wanted to check if it could be repaired (!!) and he wanted the lady to call me to see if this was OK.?????I asked why it was damaged. 'Well this kind of things happen even when a piece comes from the factory'. She had a story I cannot recall explaining why it is going to be OK and why she didn't order a new dresser. At the end I said as long as I receive a good piece of furniture, it was OK. I am so tired of this whole story, I just don't want to hassle anymore! Of course I had a bad feeling about it and I called back. I got the answering machine. I talked as nice as possible, and said that I hope to get a NEW piece of furniture, one that is not damaged and one that is not used. I don't expect her to be happy about my message, but if she saw the steam coming out of my ears, she would thank me for being so nice and decent! To be continued....

No comments: