Sunday, May 11, 2008

Expat wife dilemma's

Where do I start this time... It is a rainy Sunday, P is in Sweden. When I am not working and P is not home, everyday looks like the same. Everyday is week-end or worse, everyday is a week day. There is no vacation but how can I complain, everyday is vacation. It feel uncomfortable not to work outside the house but I don't want to be doing all of the house work either. I still expect contribution from P. Do I have to feel guilty or not. Hey other expat wives out there, what do you think? (silence.... not to think is easier, should I learn from this advise?)

We started the day with baking cookies with the girls, always a favorite of me. We found out one more time that the oven here is hotter that the oven I am used to work with. The first party was partly eatable. The second party was good. We played a lot of princess where I am the prince. I kind of became good in this game. I can combine it with any daily activity. When we are cleaning up, the prince asks the princess if she wants to help and she is more than happy to do it. Eating is is a piece of cake. I get my dialogs dictated by F. A is my little sister who happens to call me 'mom! Well, I have a lot of patience, that's for sure.

Then I got the call from P saying that his day was not good. Then I start thinking about the questions about working, not working, how long are we going to be here, what if we are all of a sudden sent back. I know this is all part of the adventure, but the effect of moving here on the kids was quite something, we are still settling. I don't even want to think about it if we have to make another move from here too soon. I think the rain outside makes me a bit negative today. I will stop now.

2 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Hey there, I'm an American expat in Italy; nice to see the flip side to the expat experience.

And, interestingly, I also have a "P" ;)

Keep writing!

Christine said...

well, if you stop cooking , P will start developing an interest in food and might start cooking when at home! This is what happened to me. I was coming home too late to cook and R decided to have a go at it while watching cooking TV programs. r is a great chef now.. Suggestion: book a cooking session for him!!