Friday, September 25, 2009

F's b-day

This was very unplanned. We will have a b-day party for F in about a month. Still, we decided to pick her up from school on 23rd. P would take a free end of the day. Just 2 days before her b-day, I forgot about the plans and promised to go to Kerry and Sheila's for a playdate. The day after, I realized that I had a big chance of winning the worst mother of the year award, by forgetting my daughter's b-day. Instead of calling the playdate off, we decided to invite Sheila to spend the afternoon with us. (amazingly, P came up with the idea, I didn't have to rub it in!) The activity options were limited, F had school till 2.30. But we figured it out.

I picked up Sheila with A, and drove with them to the school. P picked up F with the girls. We drove to our house. We went to feed the fish in the pond, an activity most favoured by F and A. I don't know how much bread went into the water. Those fish will be giants! The weather was gorgeous, so the kids started playing outside, on and off their bikes, having fun. P had his Dutch calling again, he wanted to do nothing but sit at the sun. Took a while to persuade him that baking himself was not a very special activity on a b-day. So we left for the bowling.

The bowling alley was empty besides us. The girls started playing, almost dropping the ball to their feet and throwing it so slowly that a turn would take minutes. They were dancing and laughing. Sheila wanted to give the ball to the one who had the turn, each and every time. I called Shelia's mother to ask if she was allowed to eat with us, that was OK. Sheila was so happy that we were eating together. After an hour of bowling, the kids were tired and ready to eat. Oh, yes, A was the winner of the game. F threw the ball with quite some speed. Sheila said "I never bowled before and I am so good at it." The dinner was a lot of giggling. Sheila was a bit disappointed that there was no b-day cake.

After dinner, we took Sheila home and headed to our house. I think this was a nice b-day for F, and her real party is still to come.

I forgot to tell about her present. I spent my whole morning for it. We bought her a keyboard. It's a big present, but we see it as investment to the future. We want the kids to be involved with music as early as possible. We are not really planning to buy a piano, but we heard that they can have some lessons on the keyboard. We have the keyboard, we still have to arrange the rest.

No comments: