Friday, September 18, 2009

U2 was at Soldier Field - and where was I?

Somethings are meant to be. I was sure I was going to miss the U2 concert. I was sure about it. I first thought, if I go to see U2, it has to be on the field. Then, I need to be there early, and P would never do that. Then, I was sure P would be travelling. So, I hadn't even look for tickets.

P was indeed gone for a week and a half. Wednesday before the first concert, I saw a friend at the parking lot. She told me she was going to U2. She said they had tickets through their friends. She said her friend might have an extra ticket. I found it tempting, but we wouldn't be able to sit together. Would I go to the concert alone? Would I dare to do it for U2????.... I didn't think so.

After dropping off the kids, I went to the dentist. I was just sitting at the chair, a U2 song began on the radio. "Are you going to the concert?", I asked my dentist. "I didn't know they were coming to town" he said. While he was digging some holes in my teeth, his next patient came to sit on the chair at the other side of the wall that separates the clients. My dentist asked him if he was going to U2. He said something about having 2 tickets for sale, for the Saturday concert (sept 12). That's the only information I got from their conversation. "Could I get those tickets?", I was asking myself. This was just too much! The dentist asked for me how much the tickets were. 200$ a piece, but they were supposed to be special tickets. Wow, kind a expensive. No no no, I wasn't going to do it. How could I spend 200$ + babysitter + parking for my pleasure? No way!

I went to school to pick up the kids, still a bit confused. I parked my car next to Tricia. I said: "Can you believe it. I could get tickets for U2 and P is not here, so I am not going!" "I'll go with you", she said. Sure...or was she serious? Picked up A and F, went to the park with Fauzia and her kids. After a while, I had to call Tricia. "R U serious?", I asked. Well, she was.

At home, I called the dentist, who went to get Phillip from his work across the square. Phillip was the guy with the tickets. I thought... It appears that his colleague Brooke had the tickets. Brooke had the tickets on sale on Craig's list. He was going to let me know the next day if they were sold or not. And don't I hate to wait!!!!

Now were waiting....
Waiting....
Oh, are the tickets 200$ a price or 200$ for both.
Call Phillip, get his answering machine and leave a horrible message - A kept on talking through, and I had to walk the whole house to get away from her -.
Wait...wait...wait

Next morning, I waited for a while and around 9.30, I called Phillip again, didn't get a hold of him. My last resort was to drive to shopping center and try to see the guy. I stepped out of the car and he was just stepping out of his. Just meant to be! I introduced myself and asked him about the tickets. He sent me to Starbucks, Brooke was there. She told me that there were negotiating about the tickets with someone else. "Before 1.00 p.m. I will call you and let you know", she said.

After picking up the girls and saying a "I still don't know" to Tricia, I took the girls to "Little" Lauren's b-day. The kids started to jump up and down - we were at Pump It Up, I was talking to other mothers, all with the telephone clenched in my hand.

Before 1.00 p.m., somehow I realized I missed a call I never got. Brooke was on the answering machine. "I still have the tickets, you can have them for 150$ or 100$" a piece". I called her and somehow, she sold the tickets for 60$ a piece. Tickets for the field on U2 concert! Oh my gosh! I am going to U2! The next stop from the b-day party -which was very fun by the way - was Target to buy the new U2 CD.

Saturday, I made the girls crazy. I was listening to the new U2 the whole day, just too excited. At a certain moment, F said, "mama, can you stop singing that!" My poor girls.

OK, this is taking too long, let me get to the concert. Tricia arranged a parking place, right at the stadium. We were there right after 6 p.m. We entered the Soldier Field and it was WOW! It was real something. Did I feel like, small; and the whole place was so big. We did one mistake with Tricia, we went to buy something to eat. We could have been much closer to the stage. But whatever. The opening act was The Snow Patrol, it was good. Then, after making us wait for 50 minutes, U2 came on the stage. There is no way I tell about the concert, there are no words for it. The stage was very impressive. Bono and Edge got quite close to our view. 360 it is. Adrenaline rush, singing, dancing, jumping... I couldn't sleep till 3 a.m., just too much for one day. The songs are still going in my head, almost a week later.

***
...and why did Brooke wanted to sell her tickets. Yeah, she got from her husband, for their anniversary, Red Zone Tickets. She had Red Zone Tickets. I talked to her today at Starbucks. She said she was happy to give the tickets to a real U2 fan, to somebody who was excited to see them. We talked about the concert and got all goes bumps talking about it. I felt like a teenager. Wow, that was a long time ago. Love U2!

No comments: