Saturday, April 26, 2008

Old friends

Just a quick note to say that I really enjoyed seeing you today Hesna and Deniz, friends from my childhood and thereafter. It was so nice to talk to you guys! It feels so familiar to sit and talk, although we see each other once a...year or even less.

Here is something we talked about tonight: I have been moving around the world for many years. People ask me if I don't miss my family - a regular question when you meet a foreigner I suppose. I always say 'of course'. But think about it: if I lived in Turkey, but in another city, I probably wouldn't see them more often. Now I see them more intensely. What I really miss is bumping into an old friend on the street, someone who knows me since I was 10 years old. I don't have any common history or culture with my new friends in my new homes.

Hope to meet you again next time we are over for vacation. Take care!!

No comments: