Monday, April 7, 2008

Trapped in the basement

Our basement has a lock. If the door is locked, you can open it from outside but not from inside. The door was locked and I walked in. I usually unlock it before I go downstairs, but I was going for just a second I thought. Of course, when I was downstairs, one second became five minutes, ten minutes and.... I heard the door closing. F walked down to see what I was doing and she just closed the door after her. Uups, we were locked downstairs, with A upstairs.

I knew she couldn't open the door, she just cannot turn the door knob. I thought maybe if she took a chair and got a little closer, she may manage. So I called her to take a chair, she spends every day hours moving chairs around the house, why not now? She went away for a while and came back with a small soft children's chair. Of course the chair sinked in when she stepped on it. She first stood on it and tried to open the door without success, later she sat on it and started to play.

If she brought me my purse, I thought I can get her to take out my cellphone and give it to me from under the door and I can call P and ask him to free us. I could almost hear his annoyed voice but I didn't have much options. So I called to A. 'Bring mommies purse A, it is in the kitchen'. While F was enthusiastically repeating/shouting my words to A, I head the little footsteps going upstairs. Unfortunately, the kitchen is not there. She came back with some toys, she handed us a pen. I even think that she had a toy phone in her hand or she was 'calling' with some other toy. She did understand we needed a phone. We kept on calling her to get my purse. She kept on saying 'oh yes', left to upstairs and came back with some stuff. Finally she lay down in front of the door. I could see her eyes getting smaller. Oh no! She was getting ready to take a nap!

All this time, F was trying to help me and she was calm. She just wanted to get out to be on time for her lesson, she had a language lesson in about an hour. A almost sleeping outside, the time for the lesson approaching, I had to use the last resort, the one I tried to avoid: I had to climb through the window. There are to windows to the basement. One next to the raccoon nest, not exactly where I want to walk around in my socks. The other...well I knew that there was a dead mouse outside. iiiyak. dead mouse - raccoon, raccoon - dead mouse. Dead mouse won.

I had to take a small children's chair outside to climb up the almost 2 meters high window. The front door was open so I could walk in without a problem. A looked at me as it was very normal to see me there. I freed F and we left for the lesson.

One last thing: when P was in the states alone, he locked himself in the basement and had to climb up through the window. It was minus something Celsius and there was snow outside. Needles to mention, he was barefoot!!

No comments: