Monday, September 8, 2008

Hospital stories 1...

It is already Monday and we are still at the hospital. I started writing about this whole thing while we were at the hotel but didn't have the chance to set on the Internet.

The present situation: the doctor said that P has probably a Pneumonia. (see at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumonia ). He has shortness of breath, temperature between 38-38.5 degrees, coughing. We heard couple of things as probably when he throw up after the procedure, he got some in his lungs which caused some infection, or he just got something at the hospital. But what we understand is that they do not know 100% what it is, but nobody looks too worried. They are giving him antibiotic cocktail. His temperature should go back to normal and probably then he will go home. What we don't like to hear is that they are not totally sure of what's happening. You ask yourself: 'what if?'. But I don't want to make anyone worried. The doctors and the hospital are really good here, and everyone is friendly.

The girls are at a friend of F's from school. I will call how they are doing. We are both glad that they are not here but we both miss them as well. Some crazy parental feeling.... When I brought the girls to the school I saw the director of the school - who called on Thursday to say good luck, she is so nice too - and Brook, I started crying again. What's happening to me!!!!............

Last night: I called with Brook, mother of F's friend to ask if she would be willing to pick up the girls from school. F is totally crazy about their daughter and they are so nice. When Brook heard what was going on, she said right away that the girls may even sleep there. She was so nice, understanding and supporting, I had to cry for the first time since the operation. F said she was OK with staying there and I hope A will just follow her sister. I wrote a users guide for the kids for her and packed their clothes. Fingers crossed, I hope they will do fine. On the way to school, I said to F that she should help A, especially if she wants her 'pesje', she should say that it is her pacifier. F said: 'I sometimes forget things but this one I will not forget'. I am sure she already forgot is.

When I was talking to Brook, I was telling about our previous hospital story where they kept P for 4 days and didn't do anything. I called that hospital 'the black hole hospital. You get in but you cannot get out'. They call it 'the pretend hospital'. Haha!

right after the operation: We are now at the hotel room. The girls and Kerry, our babysitter for the night is sleeping. I just came back from the hospital. P looked much more like himself, but got tired very fast. Amazing, he may leave the hospital at 9 am tomorrow! After a surgery of 10,5 hours – yes 10,5 hours – he can walk around tomorrow. We were at the hospital at 7 am this morning. It feels like a week ago. Around 7.30 - 8am, I am guessing, the surgery began. It was after 6 pm when they called to say that he was ready.

Today was a strange day. Waiting and waiting…. The rain didn’t stop a second. We got soaked for 3-4 times. I got wet through my raincoat. F was very brave and walked after me, the crazy mom who couldn't sit in the hotel room, under her little red umbrella. Her feet and pants were soaked, but she hardly complained. We also spent hours in the hospital building. From lunch at 12.30 till almost 5pm. The girls ran in the corridors, put on masks(the ones doctors have for operations), colored, played with water from drinking fountains… Well, it was dry and more spacious than the hotel room.

I will continue...

No comments: