Friday, September 26, 2008

To sue or not to sue....

Two days later - and it feels like two weeks - I still have the pain, fortunately I can stand it with 2 instead of 4 Ibuprofen 800's a day. I didn't know it existed in 800 mg! Well the improvement is obvious. It's supporting to hear that more people compare tooth pain to bearing a kid or a c section - fellow expat women!

This morning I got a bit stressed when I saw that I had only 4 Ibuprofen left, it's a just a days dose! (I became an addict!) I decided to go see the dentist. He started telling me the same story about what probably happened, that the bleach supposed to kill the nerves (don't try it at home please) probably irritated the tissue around the root etc. He draw it on poster on the wall - exactly what he did last time I went to tell him that I was suffering -. Then he handed me a paper, one page with information about the risks of a root canal that he thought I should have received it the first time I was there. He asked me if I had read it, I said 'probably, but I am not in state of remembering such a thing'. He if I had it, I said, 'ah most probably'. He, thus, printed out the copy and asked me if I had signed it. I read the last line, it was about liability, something like 'I understand that horrible things can happen if I have a root canal but I accept it all beforehand'. The guy was probably checking if his ass was covered - sorry to say that way-. welcome to America! I almost said ' I am not here to sue you till your last dollar, I just want you help because I am suffering!!!!'.

He did. He gave me some medicine with steroids which kind of scared me. I checked with the pharmacist to make sure that it will not have strange side effects as growing hair, growing super muscles, transforming myself to a manlike woman, who knows? After the ass covering event, I slightly lost trust to my dentist as you see. Fortunately, now I am enjoying my 2 Ibuprofen evening and I even feel creative, maybe I will write one more post or study for my writing class. See doctor, no reason to get stressed.

1 comment:

Expat mum said...

Ahh the doctors and dentists (sorry if this offends anyone reading), but their liability risk is so huge that I often wonder how they ever manage to give medical advice at all. Welcome to America indeed!