Sunday, May 24, 2009

How pleasant is Pleasantville?

We live in Pleasantville. At least that's what I call it. A small community of people who will greet you on the streets, have a chat with you at the village market, little kids well dressed and well behaved, the police looks bored and has some extra pounds - probably no need to move much, except for writing traffic tickets to people who doesn't properly stop (read less that 3 seconds) at a stop sign in a deserted rural street. I can go on and on. What also makes it Pleasantville is the beautiful houses, stainless streets and the smell of wealth that fumes out of every - almost every - door.

Where wealth is, the fumes are sometimes to cover up the bad smells. So the Pleasantville is not so pleasant. It took me more than a year to finally see through the perfect front yards. The backyards has some garbage. At least, that is what I heard. Of course, I didn't experience any of these or got the info from the first hand. This is what I heard: The x club is not accepting any African people. So the president can forget about coming and living here and playing a little game of golf at that club. The w, y z clubs will not accept Jews, people from far east Asia or south Asia, and of course African Americans. Still I have the feeling that those clubs are far enough for us - not physically but mentally and wealth wise. I just heard these things. I didn't meet anyone who was thrown out of a club because he was born as he was. It is out of my apprehension, but it also feels like hearing about a movie.

This is also what I heard: there is another group that is more subtle and closer. There are people who choose their friends among the the people who are 'chosen'. There are close groups, they test you - if you are at the first place considered as a 'Maybe' - , and decide if you are OK to include in the group. You know how it feels like? It feels like the high school movies: (I am into movies today) You have to have the right looks and clothes to be included. Isn't it a bit sad actually? How old are we, people?

A friend's daughter wanted to play with some other girl. She got a "yes" but the play date was canceled in a weird way. The other kid couldn't have a play date but she was at the end at the park playing. I find that strange, and not so nice towards my friend. Maybe something else was playing in the situation, but it feels disturbing to witness this. Then I ask myself: "are my kids accepted?"

Hey, I will stop writing about these stuff, it entertains me too much - I feel like the regular guy finding himself in the middle of a big conspiracy - . There are still sooooo many just regular and genuinely nice people around, that it still feels like Pleasantville. The rest is a rumor that took more than a year to come to my ear.

No comments: