Sunday, May 17, 2009

Such a nice day!

Finally, we celebrated A's 3rd b-day. I say finally, because she turned 3 a month ago, and I was postponing the date. Saturday, we had the crowd over for the celebration. 10 a.m. sharp, the first guest came to the door. It was a bit awkward that the b-day girl was at the supermarket to pick up some I wine and the b-day cake. (that we almost forgot - so expected with us!). Oops. As the guests started coming one after the other, I felt the urge of calling P and asking where the h... they were. The answer was, mmm, a bit alarming: "The cake is not ready yet, they are still making it." Couple minutes later though, they arrived and the party started. Friday, it was raining dogs and cats, so I was prepared to pack all the kids and parents inside the house - which would be doable, but not as nice. But then, the weather turned out beautiful. The sun was shining and we were all outside.

I had mainly invited A's old classmates (she switched classes couple weeks ago) and 2 friends outside the school. Her two best friends didn't show up, 1 I knew, the other one... well, I hope they have good reason for breaking my daughter's heart. But her third best friend, Lydia, was there and A was so happy and thrilled to have her over, that she forgot about the others.

When we were planning the party, I was trying to find some theme, some activity to do with the kids... something special. I came up with the idea of making "fishing sets". I bought little figures (fish, sea horse, shell, boat, etc...), painted them, put thumb tacks in them. I made little fishing rods with a magnet at the end. We had a big inflated pool in the yard and we put the forms in the pool. All the kids got a rod and they fished for the figures. They had little goody bags to put their "catch" in it and at the end, they got to keep it - and of course the rod -. It turned out to be a big success, the kids had a blast! (I was very happy for that because I spent so much time, so many evenings making the toys...) After the cake, and playing, it was the end of the party. It was so relaxed and nice, I think everyone had a good time. I know A did. After everyone left, A and F wanted to get in the pool. Well, it was under 20 degrees, so P pt a lot of warm water and we opened the swimming season!

The rest of the day was slow and just fun. In the afternoon, we decided to call Dave and Tena and we had a nice BBQ with them. A and Beck played for hours. A was first not so happy that Beck came, "I want to play with my sister without Beck" she said. But then, she was playing next to them and I think she had a nice time, too.

After the guests left, we brought the kids to bed. I asked A if she had a nice party. She said "I want to have Peri, Ameena and Lydia for my b-day." But, she didn't look like she had trouble with the fact that 2 of her friends were missing, she didn't look sad. When we asked her what was the nicest thing of the day, she said: "Playing with Lydia, eating cake with Lydia, fishing with Lydia." (mmm, how about the other kids?) I think it just made such a big impression on her that Lydia was in our house, it just made her day. And of course the other kids, the attention, the party, the cake. Ohh, it was such a nice day!

No comments: