Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Mouse stories - with a little bit of raccoon

Since my mother already went to sleep to wake in the middle of the night due to a jet lag, and the kids are in bed as well - although I can here A, I can use the time to tell about the mouse in the house.

It started couple weeks ago, I saw a dead baby mouse in the middle of the storage. The next day we found another dead baby mouse under the shelves. Then there is the story of the mouse that escaped (see posting Sunday October 5th). I finally got the exterminator, the same company that was here right before we moved in - I had seen a dead mouse next to the sump pump.

One morning the exterminator came. I just picked up A from school. I went with him to the basement, told the story and he started looking around. He said that he indeed saw traces of mouse and told me that he'll be upstairs in 20 minutes or something. I got the feeling that he didn't want to have me there, but of course I was curious. I said I would stay, I just wanted to see what he was doing. He said it was my house, I could be where ever I want. i was asking questions and I think he realized that I wasn't trying to control his work but I was truly interested. He started telling me all about this mouse business. He showed me where the holes were, what kind of places they would like, when they come inside and when they are active (between 5 p.m. and 5 a.m.) and all kinds of interesting stuff.

Whenever I turned to see another mouse hole, A was asking me 'where is the mouse'. The only mouse she knows is Mickey Mouse and I shouldn't forget the mouse from Cinderella. Of course we didn't see one running around so my daughter is not disillusioned.

The guy showed me all kinds of places in the garage where the mouse can find a hole to get into the house. Of course the deck is the biggest problem, we cannot see what for holes are underneath, there is no opening or shutter. He placed poison good for 80+ mouse and headed to his car.

As I said, he seemed kind of happy to talk to someone with genuine interest, he stopped a second to chat. He was a policeman before he started with the exterminator company. He was working at the emergency of a hospital, looking to the cases that needed police attention. Once they brought a man who was getting scrap metal out of garbage containers and selling them for living. Scrap metal guy jumped in a container and came face to face with a raccoon - don't I love the raccoon -. No coincidence, I had already told him our other animal encounters. The raccoon attacked him, scratched his whole face. In panic, he climbed out of the container and got out, but somehow managed to hit his head to something while he was jumping and passed out. The raccoon got him again while he was unconscious. When they brought him to the hospital, well you can imagine that he looked horrible. See, I knew it, those raccoon are bad!

I expect the exterminator this week, I hope he can find the hole, before the mouse finds a way to come upstairs and scare the h... out of my mother and give me a lot of worries about my girls!

1 comment:

Christine said...

Hi Ozge,

I am setting in our living room having a glass of wine and laughing reading all your stories! R and I thought that all problems felt on us since the beginning of January but I realise while reading your story that you had your fair bit of problems in the USA! The good thing is that the girls are at least enjoying going to hotels!!! keep up your spirit!

I broke my key into our door last week and ended up outside our house at 6.30 pm with the kids. We had tea at our neighbours'house and Morgane felt asleep on their sofa with high temperature! It was very cold outside and I am so greatful that our neighbours were at home! We had to wait for somebody to come to open our door!!!
C'est la vie...I had enough of all this happening since our journey back from France and decided to buy a new car last Saturday!!

Buy something for yourself to get ride of your frustating plumbers'time!!
Bises
Christine