Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Sucked by the black hole

What are the odds of ending in the same hospital as P with similar symptoms two months after his operation? Sunday October 26, I had to spend the night at the black hole hospital or otherwise known as the pretend hospital. I had the deja vue of P??!!

Beginning of the afternoon, right after I came home from my grocery shopping - I do it alone as P and the kids are at the church - my tachycardia started. I have it once a year, since I am +/- 12. 1st time was scary but know I am veteran, I know this thing doesn't kill me. I usually sit or lay down and wait for it to go away.

P was trying to set up a video call w/ Jannet, so I silently laid down, trying to stay out of the conversation. P was having some trouble ' we hear you, do you hear us? yes. uuups, connection lost...'. I even tried to help to solve the connection problems and waved to the webcam as I suddenly appeared on the screen.

P started to walk in the room , with the computer in his hand. A tour of the house. In the meanwhile, I started to feel a little discomfort in my chest and shoulder muscles. When P was done w/ the 1st floor and headed to the 2nd, he asked 'are you OK?'. I said 'not really' and of course man cannot do 2 things at a time, he was holding the computer, so he couldn't understand what I said and ... he was gone to the 2nd. I could hear him telling about the rooms as the pain increased. I tried to call P, but couldn't manage. After couple attempts, I realized his 2 syllable name was impossible to call under the circumstances, so I called for help. Finally P came down running and got the picture.

What could we do? We had to go to the black hole. There were not many options. In the Netherlands, I would go to a hospital, they would give me some medication through the blood, and after 2-3 hours, I would go home. I knew they would keep me there. What if I died that night because I choked on my food? P could sue them and even win the case!

At the emergency care, we had doctors around me. Of course my heart beat was between 200-220, so they were worried - not me. I said I felt chest pain, probably caused by my heart and chest muscles. But of course they said I should spend the night there.

At the emergency room, a guy came. He started telling us about the possible operations I could have and we told him that we were aware of everything because of P's recent operation. So we told him how that went and the guy ended up just giving us a brochure. That conversation costed 400-500 dollars to our insurance. The American health care system.

What a night after at the hospital. Every so many hours checks - for me or my neighbor. No wonder people get so tired in the hospitals, they never give you a moment to rest. In the morning, the doctor didn't come for a long time, so the checkout was somewhere at the beginning of the afternoon. They really did little checks on me, they knew already that I was OK. I was just sucked by the black hole!

No comments: