Sunday, February 7, 2010

Restaurant weekend

We dedicated this weekend to checkout new restaurants.

Abigails in Highland Park: close to the Ravinia train station - do not look for it in downtown Highland Park - is this tiny little restaurant packed with people. They don't take reservations, so you might want to get there early and put your name on the list. The sitting area is very small but the tables are set up in a nice way that doesn't feel crowded. The menu is... different. I will not talk about all the food we had and how they were, I am not a restaurant/food critic anyway. I just want to say that the stuffed dates with bacon (whatever they called it - it was a special) was OMG!

We had a very nice company, P's boss and 2 other colleagues with their spouse. By some weird luck, the spouses work for the same company, so I was the only one who wasn't a colleague - of course also the only one who didn't work!



La Casa de Isaac in Highwood: do not try to call them to make a reservation. I tried Friday evening and Saturday afternoon, I couldn't get a hold of them. They are Kosher Mexican, if you really want to talk before you go, try calling after 6pm, that's what they told me. Again a small restaurant but also packed. They didn't waste a square meter, there are tables everywhere. When you are waiting for your table, the people at the tables around literally have to stare at your bottom while eating. It's not fun to wait, and we had to wait long. Then finally we got our table, luckily at bit further from the people still waiting. Huh, after last comment, wouldn't it be funny to see us staring at some bottoms.

I don't exactly know what Mexican kosher is, but I definitely liked my salmon. I think our whole company would agree with me that the food was delicious, good Mexican. I was a bit disappointed that the waiter looked at me confused when I wanted to finish the meal with a Drambuie. He had never heard of it. Oh well, next door at Miramar's the knew exactly what it was.

I could go there again, but that waiting part kind a turned me off, I would think about it twice. Such good food though! Maybe I will try it again, but not to fast.

When we will visit more restaurants, I will continue my "restaurants we went to" stories.

No comments: