Saturday, March 13, 2010

Coyote sighting

Wildlife always fascinates me, before it scares me. I wrote before about the coyote screams and cries we hear at nights. Last weekend, on Sunday morning at 8 am, we were still in bed, playing with the kids. We heard the cries. I jumped out of bed. Between the trees bordering neighbor's house, I could see something moving. Then they came, three of them, looking like skinny wolves. Three coyotes. We all stood at the window, watching them. They looked mighty and scary. They looked capable.

I watched the woods for coyotes many times, hoping to get a glans. Now I saw them, they make me nervous. If they want, they can easily get one of the kids. Three of them can even get me.

The village next to ours sent a newsletter warning about coyote sightings. People around apparently see more of them and sometimes encounter one or two. (A friend just said that she came face to face with one at the beach, when she was running.) The letter said that you should make yourself look bigger and keep eye contact. Don't run, don't scream. If they attack, hit them. If I ran into one, I would be so scared, I would forget all those things. What are the kids supposed to do!?

Here are two of the three coyotes. As I said, skinny wolves.


1 comment:

Gill - That British Woman said...

they have coyote problems in Toronto and a few small dogs have been killed. We hear the crys here, but I have yet to see them. It's best to keep your distance.

Gill in Canada