Monday, March 1, 2010

Where does this mess come from??!!

To prove that I am the best nurse ever, husband is back to work exactly one week after surgery. Now that life seems to go back to normal - nobody asking me to join him for a cup of coffee that I don't drink or telling me that I should come home fast from grocery shopping because he is so lonely - I can blog about the, well, "normal" stuff.

Last week we spent a lot of time at home and I had to face the fact that we have tooooooo many toys. In no time, the kids take everything out of the boxes and closets, and they let them lay around while playing with something completely different. I have to admit that they have been quite good with cleaning up, meaning, after we told them to do so like 10 times. Still there is a theory saying if there is less toys, there will be less mess. Or, is there such a theory? Am I making it up? The ultimate test is to get rid of toys and see the result. And that was the story of my Sunday.

At the end of my desperate quest, I ended up collecting a big garbage bag full of old toys that hopefully will make some other kid very happy. They were baby toys that act like a magnet. Whenever Miss A laid her eyes on them, they had to be spread out all over the place, like an impulse.

At the end of the day, I was quite proud of the big black plastic bag. Gosh, finally those toys were gone! With that satisfied feeling, I looked around to see my nice blankets, that I use on the couch on cold winter evenings, spread out on the ground; cushions used as bed for dolls and the bar chairs lined up as a train. What a mess! The result of this test shows us that less toys is not less mess. This conclusion takes us to the next theory: less stuff is less mess.

I am not testing that one. I want to keep my blankets, my cushions and my bar chairs. Since I am also keeping the kids, I think I will also keep the mess!

3 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

You are so right there, as long as there are kids in the house you will be constantly tidying up a mess of one sort or another.

Now what is my excuse? There is only me and dh, oh and Molly the doggie in our house now, so I can't even blame the kids..........LOL

Great post,

Gill in Canada

Consu Detail said...

"To prove that I am the best nurse ever, husband is back to work exactly one week after surgery"

You're only the best nurse when he never needs a surgery again.... So do what you have to do...

X

MUlderR!

O. the expat mom said...

Mulderrrrrrr, my neglected friend. I have been ignoring you for too long. Shame shame shame on me! Ik heb in mijn oude spul gekeken en niets gevonden dat je kan gebruiken voor je werk. Maar vergeten heb ik niet gedaan.

But I hear some challenge in your tone. How can I ever make sure that he never needs surgery again. It's genetics, he is the weak gender. Look at yourself!
Fiend of mine said there is a reason why woman have kids, man couldn't survive it. Oh, I have to post about this! Even if you are weak, lots of love!